Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cancer vs. the Hockey Mom – by Rob Broadhead

This book is ultimately amazing, very well written and catches the audience in a sort of cheering spirit for a positive outcome. Broadhead displays the true fight of not only a mother, wife, friend, sport’s enthusiast’s fight against cancer; it shows how a family fights the disease just as hard. Upon reading this book was a little leery about reading a book on the topic of cancer. I put my preconceived notions behind myself and pushed on. I am glad that I did. Although, the beginning of the book was a little slow; I, as a reader, kept wondering when the “hockey mom” portion would appear in the story. I would like to reiterate keep reading the story picks up and then the reader truly understands why Broadhead built up the storyline in anticipation of how hockey was used to fight (essentially) cancer.

Broadhead tells the story of his wife’s battle with cancer in a way that draws the reader in and keeps them wanting to know more, despite the fact that we as readers know the end of the story. Cancer vs. the Hockey Mom left me humbled with much respect for the entire Broadhead family. This story has a very sad topic: Cancer. But the story is not all doom and gloom. Broadhead approaches the recap of wife, Suzie, eloquently from the diagnosis to after her passing. This book was very touching, very emotional, and very “real.”

No comments:

Post a Comment