Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Split at the Root: A Memoir of Love and Lost Identity ~ Catana Tully

Split at the Root: A Memoir of Love and Lost IdentitySplit at the Root: A Memoir of Love and Lost Identity by Catana Tully
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Catana Tully's amazing novel "Split at the Root" caught me completely by surprise. I must admit my expectations prior to reading this novel were simple; it would be a race relations book. Split at the Root is so much more than just race. This memoir gives a full circle view on topics of mixed race, multiculturalism, family dis-functionality and much more. Tully provides a very detail account of her life from childhood straight through adulthood. The reader will appreciate Tully's thorough explanation of why she was a confused "German" kid who did not consider herself black. The relationship Tully had with both of her mother's in itself was touching but lead myself and mostly other readers into Tully's psyche, and truly explains her thought process. Split at the Root gives another dimension another insight to how race is perceived from someone who is multiracial. I quite enjoyed this book and the look into Catana Tully's life.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment