Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Review: The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just wow, Shari Lapena really brought the thunder to this book. I was so involved with the story that I couldn't sleep. Some nights I fell asleep, with the book right by my side. Lapena's attention to detail when giving the reader the background story to characters is simply superb. She manages to do so without spending chapters on just a description. I felt that I knew Anne and we were the best of friends.

The Couple Next Door touches on child abduction with a hint of family mystery. At the beginning I had so many questions about Anne, the mother, and Marcos, the father. They too many seemed like they weren't going to get the parent of the year award. But Lapena, lures you into false assumptions (kudos Lapena kudos).

I will be the first to admit, I really got the "Who done it" question completely wrong. I felt that at some point anyone could have taken little Cora and at one point I thought the cops were incompetent as well.

This book touches on postpartum depression, mistrust, kidnapping of child, mental illness, and dealing with a dysfunctional family. Like seriously that was a mouthful, but it really was well thought out and written.

The Couple Next door is a definite page turner. I cannot wait to explore more books by author Shari Lapena.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment