Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Review: The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips

The Darkest Child The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow just wow. How can one book take you through an entire roller coaster ride of emotions? Delores Phillips truly had a gift of writing. And I am sad to hear mid-reading this novel that she had passed and the sequel to her highly acclaimed first novel was never released.

The Darkest Child really touched me. I cried, I laughed, I cursed (up a storm), and I cheered. Phillips gave it all to me unfiltered. Tangy Mae was a very strong young black woman and faced nearly every adversity I could think of in that time frame. While I didn't know grow up in the 50's, I have been told these stories from older relatives of what it was like to grow up during that time in the South. So when I read this novel it hit home a little.

Rosie, Rosie, Rosie - I wondered about this mother character, her mental state, how she became a single mother of so many children. You want to not pass judgment on a woman like Rosie, but reading this book, I developed a sort of love hate relationship with her.

Phillips writes in a way that you become totally engrossed in all of the characters, even the ones that are not apart of Tangy's family. You question the family's, mother's, sisters, and even Tangy life choices. Did I agree with everything that happened, no but I also realized there was a status quo during that time and those that went against it were usually punished severely.

I wish I could rate this above 5 stars because it was truly that real and that amazing of a read. If you wish to experience a really great story, period piece, with lively characters this is definitely the book for you.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Great review of this book, Brittany Thomas.This was the best book I've read in a long time. Maybe it'll make it to the BIG screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who they will get to play the main character in todays time .

      Delete